#001 – Santa Claus Gift Tag
Clay Casting Project
Have FUN creating unique and delightful gift bags and tags!
Sandpaper or emery board (fine grit)
Acrylic primer (optional)
1 blank craft paper gift tag (from craft store or make your own)
Acrylic clear varnish (optional)
Acrylic paints: black, red, pearl white (for beard, cap trim and cuffs), white (background), gold (buckle), peach (face), pink (cheeks)
Tacky glue or hot glue
1 piece jute string or ribbon 8" long (or longer if desired) for hanger
1. While clay is still wet, cut out casting with cookie cutter. Let dry.
2. Smooth the edges with a very light sandpaper if needed.
3. Optional: Apply a coat of primer and let dry.
paint to Santa as shown, one color at a
time, and let dry between colors so they won't run into each other. Note: the belt buckle is gold. Let
5. Optional: Apply a light coat of varnish to seal in
paint. Let dry. Apply a 2nd coat of varnish if desired for more
sturdiness. Let dry. Note: Varnishing will give the casting a more
glossy finish. You can also varnish the back of the casting for more
6. Glue casting to gift tag and let dry.
7. Punch hole at top and attach pice of jute or ribbon
Project designed and created by Maggie Montgomery. Photograph by David Montgomery