#023 – Holly Sprig Magnet
or Christmas Ornament
Clay Casting Project
An easy project for kids of all ages!
Sandpaper or emery board (fine grit)
Acrylic primer (optional)
Acrylic clear varnish (optional)
paints: red, green, light rust-brown
Tacky glue or hot glue
Optional: 1 magnet (from a craft store) or 1 piece jute string, fishing line, or ribbon 8" long (or longer if desired) for hanger
1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. If you are going to make an ornament, use toothpick to poke a hole in the top (see How to Make a Hole). Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply rust-brown paint to background and let dry. Apply green to leaves and red to berries, letting paint dry between colors.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
5. Use hot glue to attach magnet to back, or for ornament, attach hanger.
Magnet designed and created by Maggie Montgomery.
Photograph by David Montgomery.
Springerle Cookie made by a Rycraft Collector, Mary Moughon.
THANK YOU, Mary!