#271 – Jolly Santa Magnet
or Christmas Ornament
Clay Casting Project
Gather the gang into the kitchen
to spend a lovely winter's day
creating beautiful holiday ornaments and cookies!
Sandpaper or emery board (fine grit)
Acrylic primer (optional)
Acrylic clear varnish (optional)
paints: medium red, deep red, white, metallic gold, black, peach
Tacky glue or hot glue
Optional: 1 magnet (from a craft store) or 1 piece jute string, fishing line, or ribbon 8" long (or longer if desired) for hanger
Note: You can substitute Import design #1016 – Jolly Santa for Heirloom design #271 (pictured).
1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. If you are going to make an ornament, use toothpick to poke a hole in the top (see How to Make a Hole). Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply red paint to background and let dry. Apply other colors to design as shown, letting paint dry between colors.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
5. Use hot glue to attach magnet to back, or for ornament, attach hanger.
Magnet designed and created by Maggie Montgomery.
Photograph by David Montgomery
Cookies decorated by and photographs courtesy of Goose Hill Farms.